Schools with healthy and thriving cultures value equity and diversity, and understand that genuine learning can only take place in an environment that is physically and emotionally safe. This workshop focuses on the roles of educators and school administrators as they develop tools to create school cultures that promote and sustain equity and cultural proficiency as shared community values. Participants will discuss topics such as identity development, cultural learning styles, family engagement and communication strategies. In addition, they will examine some ideas for developing multicultural curriculum and confronting an achievement gap.
- Read and discuss current professional literature on the topics of equity and cultural proficiency
- Complete activities that center on identity development and relate identity development to cultural learning styles
- discover active methods to promote family engagement
- learn about the "Public Conversations" discussion and model for talking about difficult issues
- Examine websites that consider multicultural curriculum and the achievement gap