The Changing Role of the Principal
- "Principals are being asked to develop new competencies largely centered around data, curriculum, pedagogy, and human capital development in order to meet the new expectations” and
- "Attrition due to resignations and early retirements, along with a shortage of qualified candidates for open principal positions, is leading toward a crisis of leadership in American education. Principals do not feel sufficiently prepared by their pre-service training to successfully meet the demands of school leadership.”
Here are their recommendations, many of which directly connect to some of our initiatives:
- Redesign school organizational charts and job descriptions.
- Develop instructional-leadership capacity around the principal.
- Focus principal training on coaching teachers.
- Build the capacity of central-office administrators to support principals.
- Provide regular opportunities for principals to gather around self-selected problems of practice.
- Develop partnerships with universities and nonprofits to recruit and train future principals.
- Develop and train principals on district-wide teaching and leadership frameworks.
- Provide technological supports that allow administrators to record and share instructional data.
Teachers21 recognizes that effective leadership is essential to improve educational outcomes and is committed to the development and sustainability of leadership at all levels:
- Our three leadership licensure and development programs meet the needs of high needs districts, high performing districts and those interested in district leadership
- We offer programs to mentor and support newly appointed principals (first 3 years) and assistant principals that include professional development and coaching
- Working with school and district leadership teams, we help focus and refine their work, especially in the realm of instructional leadership resulting in professional growth for all educators
- Our Teacher Leadership programs cultivate the skills and competencies teachers need in order to be effective as leaders in their building, and provide school leaders with the tools and strategies they need to maximize the impact of their teacher leadership resources.