This is a course for teachers and/or paraprofessionals who want to explore theory and practice of literacy instruction, integrate engaging and practical technological devices and tools, and align their teaching to Common Core State Standards.
At the completion of this course students will be able to:
- Understand the key elements of sound literacy instruction and literacy’s profound importance in the life of learners of all ages and abilities
- Construct, deliver and reflect on lesson plans in a variety of genres appropriate to each teacher’s level of instruction, based on a rationale for using writing both to develop literacy and extend content knowledge
- Participate in an online community of learners that works interdependently to improve the practice of teaching writing in their schools
- Focus on designing the elements required for them to address the Common Core requirements
- Learn approaches for formative and summative assessment and evaluation of student writing, including the alignment to Common Core standards, rubrics and benchmark pieces, and other tools accessed through class readings.